Clinical Immunology / Allergy

Clinical Immunology/Allergy Specialist


What is a specialist Immunology and Allergy physician?


Specialist Immunology and Allergy physicians undergo similar training as other medical specialists.  They receive general training in medicine, followed by postgraduate training in immunology and allergy.  They will normally have a medical degree, Fellowship of the Royal Australasian College of Physicians (FRACP) and membership of the Australasian Society of Clinical Immunology and Allergy (ASCIA).  If they have also trained in Immunopathology they will have an additional Fellowship, of the Royal College of Pathologists of Australasia (FRCPA).

Specialist Immunology and Allergy physicians work in a range of settings, including hospitals, private practice, diagnostic immunology laboratories, research centres and universities.

As with other medical specialists, a referral from a general practitioner is required for consultation with a specialist Immunology and Allergy physician.



The Scope of Practice for specialist Immunology and Allergy physicians is available at: 


Anaphylaxis,    Allergy,    Desensitisation Therapy,    Paediatric Allergy,    Asthma,    Food Allergy,    Allergic Rhinitis,    Immune Deficiency,    Hay Fever,    Rheumatoid Arthritis